CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Back to school

It's been a few weeks since I posted last. The rest of summer vacation went by quickly. We spent Labor Day weekend on the Cape and thoroughly enjoyed the 'end of summer.' Christian had a few more swimming lessons with Dana in Hyannis, played with Brian, walked on the jetty's of both Cold Storage and Harborside beaches, mini golfed, went to Sundae School, ate at our favorite restaurant, Sesuit Harbor Cafe (overlooking the harbor)......he's a lucky kid. Connor enjoyed some of those excursions, and stayed back with Grammie and Grampy at other times.

Christian started his final year of pre-school on Tuesday. Last week I took him to his orientation and he was very happy to see the familiar faces of his teachers and friends. He got right back into the groove of school the first day, but was quite exhausted when he got home.

Today, day two......quite a lot of events took place. He went to school in the morning, but I received a reverse 911 call from our town alerting us to a drunk, suicidal man carrying a knife (also noted to have said to his wife that he intended to commit suicide by cop) in the vicinity very close to his school. The town message said to stay indoors, lock your doors and stop all outdoor activity. That was a little frightening! His school, and others in the area, went into lock down. I was able to pick him up soon after, I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to. There was a police officer stationed at the door where our drive up, drop off / pick up takes place. That made me, and I'm sure other parents and teachers, feel safer. The whole scene was pretty surreal. There were cops and state troopers all over the main roads (near school), helicopters above and news stations just down the road at a church parking lot that turned into a command center. Finally around 6 pm they did find the man, very close to his house, alive and with 2 knives and handcuffs on his person. I'd say that our police did the right thing locking down the schools as a safety precaution.

So, after this long day, I'm feeling pretty drained. I haven't been getting enough rest lately and I am definitely feeling it. It's off to bed now. Tomorrow I'll post Christian's back to school photos.

Treasures:

*Enjoying Connor time. The days are filled with just him and I now that Christian is back in school. He's a different kid without his big brother around - for better or worse. He definitely misses Christian and wants to be at school too.

*I'm thankful that everyone is O.K after today's events and that no one was harmed.

*Loving the wonderful end of summer, September days. The weather has been absolutely perfect over the past week or so. No humidity and perfect, sun shining days.

0 comments: